Tuesday, November 5, 2019

"A Field Guide to Relationships" by Christopher T. Rogers

While this book is a field guide for relationships in general, I would say that the bulk of its use is for those in romantic relationships.  Drawing from years of experience as a family and marriage counselor, the author goes over ten ways to improve relationships.  Much advice is aimed towards better communication.  For example, it is better to say "I miss you" instead of "you don't spend enough time with me".  Rogers explains how to start with love, make the other person feel accepted, say how you are feeling with I (instead of you) phrases, and so on.  From a psychological view, there is even a section of the book going into childcare and the impact of childhood on one's adulthood.  Rogers is patient with readers as he walks them thru his ten steps of improving relationships.  I liked how short and to-the-point this book was.  If I'm having a relationship issue, I don't have time to read a 600 page thesis--I just want a quick reference for how to help the situation.  And that's exactly what this book is.

No comments: