Friday, February 1, 2019

"Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell

I listened to this audio book CD while driving to and from work.  It centers around very successful people in history and getting to the heart of why they are so successful.  I was quite taken aback at this book and learned a lot.  I learned Bill Gates got his big break when he had unlimited access to a university computer in the 1960s, something which was quite rare back then.  I learned that major league hockey players who are born in January are older than their counterparts born in December and end up getting more opportunities for practice.  I learned that Asians who are good at math have cultural habits of hard work ingrained in them from centuries of arduous rice farming (rice farming is considerably more difficult than other forms of farming for various reasons that Gladwell explains).  There are so many examples of people who were in the right place at the right time.  What I did not like about this book were some crude references and swear words.

No comments: