Sunday, June 3, 2012

"Choose Joy Because Happiness Isn't Enough" by Kay Warren

When I first got this book, I was excited to learn about joy because--to be honest--I wasn't having that great of a week.  When I read the author bio on the back inside cover, I was very impressed to learn that Kay Warren co-founded a church and co-authored a systematic theology course.  It was a humbling moment to see her grand religious achievements that would make any Bible scholar blush.  However, when I got into the meat of the book, I must admit that I was a bit disappointed.  I'm not saying the book was bad because it wasn't.  It was a good book.  But that's it.  Just good--not great.  The few Bible verses quoted weren't making any huge theological connections to make me say "wow, I've never thought about joy like that before."  The Bible verses were fine, but Bible verses did not permeate this book as expected from such a professed theologian.  Also, I was surprised that the author quoted The Message as her choice of translation.  I'm not saying this is bad.  I'm just surprised is all.  While Warren's advice was good, the book overall is  not that Scripturally deep.  The main idea is that we must choose joy (wrapped up into 200+ pages).  You can read this book and even buy the DVD if you'd like.  However, read the Bible on your own and see how much Yah truly loves you.  This will give you real joy.  Quick fixes for joy don't work--whether they be personal relationships, purchases, or even self-help Christian books.  Go to the source--the fountain of living water that is Christ Yeshua.

No comments: