Wednesday, February 6, 2013

"Wings of Glass" by Gina Holmes

When I heard about this book, I immediately wanted to read it.  I had read plenty of Christian fiction and drama about happily-ever-afters.  I wanted a story that had more depth to it.  And this book delivered.  It jumps right into the story of Penny and her abusive husband Trent.  At first I was a bit disappointed that only a chapter or two was given for how they met and how Trent wooed Penny.  But, then again, maybe it was best that those details were spared.  Writing them could have been too disturbing or sound too scripted.  Anyway, the story of Penny and Trent is a twisted one.  While there is some abuse in the book, it is not graphic.  So, you will sympathize with Penny but not feel too shaken that you want to put the book down.  The fact that Penny and Trent aren't very "well-to-do" gives this book an added flavor.  When a child enters the picture, the story takes many different turns.  The friendship between Penny and her co-workers seems genuine and realistic.  There is an intertwining of lives in the book.  In this book, you will see the verbal abuse, isolation, excuses, and much more.  I highly recommend this book to any and every woman.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to read Wings of Glass and I'm glad you liked it. Great review.

TJK said...

Gina- You're welcome.

Diane- Thanks. I like your site.