Wednesday, April 17, 2013

"Better Days" by Rachel Hamilton

This small book of poetry will give readers a nice break in their busy lives.  There are poems about love, life, struggles, and so much more.  There is even a humorous poem about fixing copier jams thrown in.  What I liked best about this book is how honest it is.  When reading this, I could tell Hamilton was not trying to please anyone--readers, publishers, publicists, you name it.  Rather, she was just telling the story of her life how she does best--through lyrical expression.  From the beginning of the book, you will  be drawn in.  On page 6, we read, "When was the last time you listened and really heard?  When was the last time you looked through your eyes and really say?"  In terms of audience, I will say this book is not for very young readers but for young adults and up.  While there is nothing graphic in the book, there are references to romanticism and one instance of the word "shit."  In terms of religious undertones, this book used the words "God" and "Lord" and "Universe" every now and then, but it wasn't a main theme in the book.  As a professional book reviewer, I tend to read books fast.  I read Hamilton's book in one sitting, but I could imagine myself reading it on a lawn chair on a porch on a nice breezy day.  It's that kind of book.  

No comments: