Sunday, November 3, 2013

"Martyr's Fire" by Sigmund Brouwer

I want to preface this review by saying that I am a bit biased when it comes to Brouwer's books.  He is one of my all-time favorite authors, and he has yet to let me down in his literary endeavors.  This book is no exception.  The style with which Brouwer writes keeps you turning the pages, holding onto the plot until it slips out from underneath you like a rug.  This book is the third in a series about a ruler in Magnus.  His empire rises and falls as a new band of Druids posing as priests of the Holy Grail sway the public opinion with carefully crafted "miracles."  Literally running for his life, the protagonist Thomas is constantly wondering who is friend and who is foe.  Katherine is following Thomas in his flight.  At times, both perceive the other as the enemy.  Yet, both are hiding a love for the other.  Matters are complicated as Isabelle--another character who is seen as a potential foe--hides her own love for Thomas.  I also enjoy how Brouwer intertwines romance in his novels that is sweet but not graphic.  The twists and turns in the story will captivate readers.  While I have not read the first two books in this series, I managed to follow along without any problems.  The only complaint I have is that the back cover speaks of the characters venturing to the Holy Land of Jerusalem while the book only covers this on the last few chapters of the book before ending.  I suppose I'll just have to read the next book to find out what happens next.  ;)  

No comments: