Monday, October 23, 2017

"The Awakening of HK Derryberry" by Jim Bradford with Andy Hardin

It is not often that a book makes me rethink my outlook on life or urges me to foster more compassion in my fellow man.  However, this is one of those books!  Mr. Bradford is an elderly gentleman who befriends a blind handicapped boy one day.  The man spots the boy in a chicken restaurant--alone, in a corner, and seemingly bored.  With plenty of time on his hands and a gentle tugging of the heart, the man begins a friendship that morphs into more of a father-son relationship.  Through Mr. Bradford, HK Derryberry becomes famous, rides airplanes, rides boats, visits football players, speaks with CEOs, and more.  What amazes me most from this book is the remarkable charisma HK has, as well as his unquenchable joy in life.  Despite his physical disabilities, his financially difficult upbringing, and his lack of a father / mother in his life, he perseveres.  My review words can not do this book justice.  Read it for yourself.  You will be glad you did.

No comments: