Sunday, October 3, 2010

"City on Our Knees" by Toby Mac

As an avid Toby Mac fan, myself, I find this book a tad bit hard to review. The song "City on our Knees" is definitely catchy and inspiring. When I saw this book with the same title, I was immediately intrigued; the fun cover helped, too. However, once I started reading the book, I was a bit disappointed. There are numerous collections of stories about people who have done great things. Missionaries, historical figures, fundraisers, volunteers, and accomplished people are all there as citizens of the "City on our Knees." Every now and then, there are some pages from Toby Mac that give his opinion and a prayer. Interspersed throughout the book, there are famous quotations, Bible verses, and Toby Mac pictures. What I really would have liked would be if Mac himself wrote more. While reading about others is great, I wanted to hear more from Toby and hear what he thought. For me, even if Mac was trying to come off as humble, I think he did himself a disservice. If I were not so confident in Toby Mac's honesty as a Christian and his literary aptitude as an artist, I would have thought that large portions of the book were ghostwritten because on fragments of the book seem to directly voice Mac's opinions.

No comments: