Sunday, October 9, 2011

"Love, Sex, and Happily Ever After" by Craig Groeschel

If you've been checking out my book reviewing blog, you'll see I recently reviewed a great memoir about a possessed man who became a Christian ("Ascent from Darkness"). Anyway, as I began to read this book, I thought to myself--man, this guy's name and church sound really familiar. I later remembered that this author was the same pastor that the possessed man was sent to kill. Talk about coincidences. Wowza. Anyway, I was a bit skeptical about this book as many relationship books written by Christians tend to be great or terrible. This one falls in the great category. What I love is that the author emphasizes building your relationship with Jesus (the One) before you can even be ready for a mate (the Two). Bible is quoted from various parts of the Bible. I'm not just talking about some NT stuff that every seasoned Christian can quote. I mean meaningful verses that the average person would not know and even OT verses; I liked this. Also, the writing style is informative and straightforward while still being culturally relevant--which I found very funny at certain parts with quips. There is even a little discussion guide at the end. I did not go through all of it, but I can say that I think it would be great for couples reading this book together or even Christian book clubs, friends, or groups studying this book together. This book made me rethink the male and female roles that society has screwed up so much. I am an athletic "against-the-grain" gal who used to hate the word submission. Now, I don't think it is so bad. You may not know me personally, but let me tell you that--coming from me--that means a lot. Craig...kudos.

No comments: