Monday, November 14, 2011

"Get Married for Christ's Sake" by Kenny Jackson

I'm not going to lie. When I was asked to review this book, the title made me chuckle. I found it so amusing that I was unsure whether or not to take the book seriously. However, after received the book in the mail, I was pleasantly surprised. Kenny Jackson is not a literature major or theologian, but he conveys his thoughts very eloquently with current / up-to-date analogies that the average person will relate to. This isn't a handbook for "finding" your potential mate or some self-help type of book. Rather, it is sincere and practical advice for single Christian people. Interesting points that I have not found in other Christian relationship books on marriage are the notions of: making sure you get along with the person's family / culture, being on the same financial page, sharing secrets with accountability partners, and views on child rearing. A unique and helpful part in the back of the book is a survey for people to take to see how they and their potential mate view various aspects of marriage and living together. Also unique is Jackson's perspective of being in a cross-cultural relationship since he is black and his wife is Asian. While this book is a thin one, it'll keep you thinking about the points being brought up.

No comments: