Saturday, January 26, 2013

"Courting Cate" by Leslie Gould

This is a difficult review to write.  There is a huge pro and a huge con.  The pro is that this book is a page-turner.  It holds your attention so you keep reading and reading without getting bored.  However, the con is that the book reads too much like a story.  What I mean is that I didn't find the story believable.  I'm not saying the story is impossible--I'm sure it's possible for this series of events to unfold in real life.  However, as I saw it, it was all too made-up, so to speak.  The protagonist Cate is a melancholy "shrew" who ends up falling for Pete.  Pete is the "new guy in town" who pursues Cate, seems to drift away, and then--surprise, surprise--finds his happily ever after with Cate at the end.  That aside, there were great twists and turns in the book.  Some plot events were highly unexpected.  Still, I felt I was reading a fairy-tale of sorts.  That said, this book is very well written.

No comments: