Wednesday, August 5, 2020

"The Grown-Up Girl's Guide to Style" by Christine Schwab


This book is a fun style guide for mature women.  It really is aimed at women who are above 40.  I wished this was conveyed on the cover.  As someone pushing 30, I consider myself a grown up girl in the sense that my style is more sophisticated than it was as a teen.  That being said, however, I do not consider myself in the same style category as someone 40+.  While I learned some classic fashion tips, I did not like how the book promoted plastic surgery.  I believe in aging gracefully.  While we won't look the same at 60 as we did at 20, I do not think that justifies needles or going under the knife.  The biggest takeaway I took from this book is that one should always stay current while not chasing the latest fad.  Your hairstyle from 10 years ago may need a revamping, but that does not mean you need to jump on the bandwagon of women shaving half their heads.  Stay true to yourself but also get with the times.  Also, as you age, cover up more.  While I don't think showing excess skin is classy at any age, it certainly seems to be less socially appropriate the older a woman gets.

No comments: