Wednesday, July 6, 2022

"The Small Investor" by Jim Gard

 


This is hands down one of the very best books on investing that I have ever read.  It's straightforward and to the point.  Technical details are balanced alongside easy-to-understand analogies.  As the acorn on the cover alludes to, there is a "small investor squirrel" that readers follow throughout the book.  Various illustrations show the squirrel in different investment scenarios.  This helps take what many would consider a boring topic and adds some delight to the scene.  I very much so enjoyed that aspect.  Just like how an acorn is infinitely precious to a squirrel, so is one's money to a person.  This book is a little outdated but the underlying principles stand the test of time.  In the twenty-first century, I am glad that I can do free trades online and do not need to go thru a broker--something unheard of decades ago.  Perhaps my biggest takeaway from this book is that I need to be more involved in research.  I should not just buy or sell a stock because "that's what the experts on TV are saying".  I also should not just "buy a stock and forget about it".  Successful investing requires diligence, consistency, hard work, and most of all homework.



No comments: