Monday, August 20, 2012

"Following Atticus" by Tom Ryan

I don't know about you, but when I see a puppy in shoes, I think it is adorable.  So, I agreed to review this book.  I know one should not judge a book by its cover, but we all do it.  However, this review will go into the detail of the book.  The story chronicles an amazing set of journeys between a man and his dog Atticus.  They climb gargantuan mountains together--sometimes even in the harsh winters.  The book even gets scary at times when the dog gets sick.  Also interesting is that the story starts out with a different dog.  Besides the human-dog bond that is expounded upon, there is some background on other human relationships, family and otherwise.  There is even some background on the author's job.  There are fun little stories throughout the book that will add humor for the reader.  In terms of belief, this book mentions God every now and then but is not religious.  The author is a pantheist (believes God is nature) and sometimes refers to his dog as a little Buddha.  While I do not hold the author's same beliefs, I must say that the book did not push the author's beliefs.  When I read the book, I never felt like his beliefs were pushed on me.  Instead, I merely felt like the author was sharing his life--dog, job, beliefs, everything--without leaving anything out.  In this book, there is also included some glossy spreads of the dog Atticus in the wilderness.  They are quite cute.

No comments: