Monday, August 20, 2012

"FOOD Family Style" by Leigh Oliver Vickery

I will admit that I am not very kitchen savvy.  My cooking skills are not phenomenal, and I often make very simple food that requires little to no preparation.  When I saw "simple" on the cover of this book, I thought I'd check it out.  What surprised me was how simple the recipes really were.  Most recipes were under a page, and I could literally understand what to do.  If you know me, you will know this is a big deal.  What I also liked were how the ingredients were basic.  There were not a lot of weird exotic spices or ingredients that I'd have no idea where they'd be in the supermarket.  There is also an index and symbols for different types of dishes (vegetarian, easy to double, gluten-free, etc).  I particularly enjoyed the chapters thrown in that talk about what to keep in your kitchen and suggested ideas for dinner conversation.  Unique was a section for making food that'd be easy to include children in.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  It has everything from snacks to desserts to beverages to full meals.  Everything you need is in one book.  Plus, some dishes just sound plain fun.  Cranberry salsa?  Blueberry biscuits?  Sign me up!  :)

No comments: