Saturday, October 31, 2020

"The Audacity to be Queen" by Gina DeVee

 

Written by a motivational speaker / life coach, this book is all about female empowerment.  DeVee encourages women to be all that they can be.  Like other self-help books aimed at women, topics include such things as: stop apologizing, live your truth, connect to spirituality, go after your dreams, marry a king, and so on.  There is also a large chunk of the book devoted to finances and manifesting one's business and financial goals.  As fun of a book as this was, this is where I think it went a little off the rails.  Speaking of her coaching dream, DeVee explains how she developed her career and manifested her riches.  While someone who gets gigs / clients in the thousands of dollars price range can easily understand this, those with more standard jobs can not.  Not everyone is cut out for coaching and not everyone wants that job.  For some people, their dream is to be a teacher, nurse, or author.  Very few professions outside of sales and pure entrepreneurship allow people to independently accumulate masses of wealth in short periods of time.  For an engineer like myself, I have no desire to start my own company--aerospace, coaching, or otherwise.  I enjoy my work and am simply doing my best work.  It will take years to climb my corporate ladder, and I'm okay with that.  Not every corporate job is dreary or miserable and needs an escape.

No comments: