Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Colors of God" by Peters, Phillips, and Steen

This book intrigued me, but after a while, my brow was furrowed. I mean sure, in some twisted way, I believe the authors may actually have right intentions. They want an inclusive evangelical church that reaffirms grace. However, what gets me is how they go about it. First and foremost, the book is about neXus--the authors' church they started. They say that works are not necessary (I disagree as a--here comes the C bomb--Catholic). They also say that, in the story of the Good Samaritan, that the dying man was Jesus. Scripture is not quoted, and the dialog between Jesus and the inquirer seems to be framed to the authors' liking so the true message is cloaked. Also, the authors claim that Jesus' parables 'suck' as life lessons and are meant for spiritual insight only (their word, not mine). At one point in the book, an author says he likes discussing spiritual matters over beer. Another author downplays abstinence before marriage as a lesser sin when compared to hate. Another author says that pastors cursing is not a big deal because they should not have an air of righteousness about them. The book is told with three authors speaking separately throughout and reads like someone is eavesdropping on their conversations. What really ticked me off the most--and I think even Protestants will agree with me on this--is when the authors' put up a diagram with "me" in the center. Upwards with an arrow is "God" and to the right with an arrow is "the world." The authors claim that Christians should not waste time on the "me"-"God" relationship because Jesus already perfected that (they even venture to say that thinking one should strengthen their relationship with God through prayer and devotionals are evil tricks that should be dismissed). They say to work on the relationship with "the world" and work on being inclusive and being nice to others without judging. Somewhere, the authors may have had a good intention, but, theologically, I just don't see eye to eye with them.

#vb-colors

No comments: