Thursday, August 19, 2010

"Raising the Dead" by Chauncey W. Crandall IV, MD

This book starts off with a story of the doctor / author / narrator raising a patient from the dead. Then, it goes into the doctor's story of one of his son's battle with leukemia. Readers are taken into the journey of how the doctor began to obtain his gift of healing. They feel the emotions of the doctor and live the tension in the family. As a Catholic, I wasn't so sure if I'd like this book about revivals, speaking in tongues, prophesies, seeing God, and--oh, yeah--raising the dead. However, the more I read, the more I enjoyed it. I saw the doctor's transformation from trying to tell God what His will is to just obeying whatever God has in store. The most moving part of the book was when, after the boy died, the doctor merely gave His life wholly to God and accepted what had happened. Also, while some televangelists that are known as not being "real" Christians are mentioned, I gleaned that the author had good intentions. After all, several times, the book mentions the power of God and how saving souls for His kingdom is key. If even a conservative Catholic like myself can enjoy this book and not find ways to trash it, it must be something worth reading!

No comments: