Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"Kissing Fish" by Roger Wolsey

Advertised as a book on Christianity for those that do not like Christianity, my interest was piqued. The Jesus fish icon kissing the Darwin fish also made my eyebrows shoot up. Diving into the book, I read at the beginning that the book is for everybody but is more geared towards young adults. The way the book is laid out with the text going near to the edges of the pages, this colossal read may intimidate youngsters. Luckily, the beginning of the book tells readers that they may skim the chapters--something that permission need not be given for. Anyway, written by somewhat of a theologian, this book tackles plenty of huge topics from death, heaven, hell, communion, the Gospel, love, the Bible, and more. I'd be tempted to call this book a bit heretical if not for the fact that Wolsey presents different sides of each position. What do I mean by that? For topics, he gives progressive, fundamentalists, and everything in between in terms of standpoints / paradigms. I don't agree with everything in this book, but I think Wolsey's intentions were genuine in wanting people to come to the Faith. However, the way I see it, if people don't want Jesus, no amount of progressive "hip" sugarcoating and complacent denials of essential dogma will make nonbelievers truly love Jesus. Philemon 1:14.

No comments: