Friday, August 5, 2011

"A Sea in Flames" by Carl Safina

Before I even dived into this book, the words that stood out to me were that Safina was a great conversationalist. Now, as a book reviewer, when I read this, I figured this author is either incredibly talented or just full of himself. On his writing style, I must say he delivered. Sentences flowed quite well, and the book progressed in an orderly fashion. There are a few "bad words" in the book, so I wouldn't recommend this to young readers. For the BP oil spill itself, Safina provides scientific facts in a language that most people can understand. Sure, you may have to look up some words now and then, but, for the most part, this is a book that doesn't just have to be read by academics. What I liked was a part in the book that paralleled similar oil spills in the past. There is even a small section with full color photos in the middle of the book. While most of the books I review tend to be faith-based, this one most certainly is not. God is mentioned a couple of times. However, on these few instances, the attitude towards Him is perplexing. It's part complaining, part anger, part mesmerising. I can't speak for everyone, but I will say this is not a faith-based book as a whole. It is more of a research-based book. Interviews with various experts and eye-witnesses are given, which provide facetiously frank perspectives. The tone jumps around from scholarly to sarcastic to just plain adamant. Many facts are given in this book. It's a thick read but does include an index for those that just want to use this book as a reference tool.

No comments: