Monday, August 1, 2011

"Set Free to Live Free" by Saundra Dalton-Smith MD

With a cover like this, I strapped myself in for what I knew to be another Christian self-help book. Granted, I was a bit taken aback by the talk of "energies," as I thought the author was going all new-age on me. However, as the book progressed, I saw Biblical attitudes and perspectives with quotations and saw that the author truly did have good intentions and kept the stress / focus on God's way. While I can get addled by books that promise blessings and happiness from God, I remember that God promises us life everlasting for free. Each "lie" has a story from women, followed by Bible verses and the author's advice. The topics are typical and discuss perfection, envy, limitations, emotions, and the like. While step-by-step instructions on how to be a happy woman of God are good for the spiritually young, I think women and men alike need to just stare at the Savior until all problems fade into the background. Read Psalm 63. :)

No comments: