Friday, August 12, 2011

"Stumbling into Grace" by Lisa Harper

Truth be told, I wanted to review this book first because I thought the cover was cute. I'm in my early twenties, refuse to let go of my girly tendencies, and occasionally dress like the youngster on the cover...but I digress. You know you see a good movie when--before you know it--it is over. You realize it held your attention to the end. The same is true with this book. As a women's speaker, it is no surprise that Harper's prose comes off comical and gregarious. There are even some facetious anecdotes included in the book. Readers will laugh at them guilt free because they will feel entitled to. Why? Because they'll feel like Harper's friend. What I like about this book is that it isn't a theological treatise on grace. That would most likely intimidate too many people. It's a simple book about Harper's life with grace wound in. Also great is the fact that Harper incorporates relevant (I know the whole Book is relevant, but you know what I mean) Scripture. At the end of each chapter, there is a small section with questions for the reader, prayers / short letters, journal prompts, and Bible verses to look up. Cute book.

No comments: