Wednesday, March 7, 2018

"Raising the Barre" by Lauren Kessler

The story of a woman in midlife deciding to dance the Nutcracker sounds inspiring, crazy, and almost impossible.  Wife, mother, and author Laruen Kessler decides to make her dreams become reality and dance the dance she always wanted to dance.  This is no easy feat.  It required months of practicing, exercising, and convincing not only herself but also a ballet company that she was worthy of the role.  From pilates to barre3 to a form of exercise I had never heard before--gyrotonics--Kessler stops at nothing to achieve her goal.  Trials and tribulations are shared as she recounts her body image struggles, midlife crises, and tripping onstage.  While I really enjoyed the spirit of this book, I wish it was edited to cut out some of the not so family friendly parts.  There are a few swear words and lewd references.  Were these not there, I could confidently recommend the book to younger audiences or even my women in midlife that I know.

No comments: