Wednesday, December 12, 2018

"Mastery" by Robert Greene

This book is all about teaching readers thru example how to be a master.  A master is someone who has successfully advanced in a skill to become a working professional that others admire and seek out.  Biographies of masters throughout the ages are given.  I liked how the examples were people of all ages, ethnicities, genders, geographic locations, and so on.  To not emphasize academic careers over others, there were even athletes and non-conventional professions thrown in.  There is a very helpful chapter on emotional intelligence urging readers to not let their emotions or interpersonal politics get in the way of their success.  While this book has a lot to offer, the one downside I found was that it was repetitive and at times very boring.  I got two thirds of the way through the book and had to put it down because I realized I have 100 pages to go and was reading the same paragraph from five chapters ago.  Greene makes a lot of excellent points, but I think this book would be better if it was more concise.  I got the impression the author was trying to fill pages and meet a word count at times instead of trying to get the information across in the most efficient way.

No comments: