Monday, January 21, 2019

"Staying Healthy with the Seasons" by Elson M Haas, MD

I checked this book out at my local library because I was interested in how my health could vary season to season.  Haas' book is all about holistic medicine and natural wellness.  There is a huge emphasis on diet, exercise, and nutrition.  Haas discusses how traditional Chinese medicine focuses on certain "elements", body parts, foods, colors, and emotions for each season.  I've heard of winter, fall, spring, and summer, but this book actually has a fifth season of late summer.  That was news to me.  I learned all about how to balance myself in each season, how to change my diet to what is growing at the time, how to manage my emotions when it is too cold to go outside, and much more.  I'll be honest.  Some parts of this book were a little out there for me in terms of natural wellness (sorry, but I'm not going on a 10 day juice cleanse!).  Still, I found the book to be well-researched, well-intentioned, and thought provoking.

No comments: