Sunday, January 13, 2019

"The Art of Seduction" by Robert Greene

This book is all about what types of seducers exist, what types of victims seducers prey upon, and the methods seducers use to lure their prey in.  While very interesting, this book was borderline creepy.  There were no graphic sections (for instance, it would be written that so-and-so had an affair but no physical details were given) but the way it was written appeared to be instructing readers in how to manipulate others.  That aside, like most of Greene's books, I did not read the whole thing.  His writing style is very thorough but often too lengthy for me.  I chose to read just the first half of the book that describes the types of seducers (examples from history were provided).  Since I have no interest in seducing others, I skipped the second half of the book with all the steps on how to seduce (sorry fellas!).  Anyway, what I found most interesting is how emotional seducers are.  While some seducers like sirens rely on their physical attraction, many other types of seducers have little to no physical appeal at all.  What they employ instead is poetry, flattery. extreme personal attention, and other forms of making someone feel desirable.  That's the key--making someone else feel something great--that oftentimes far outweighs physical attraction.  I'm not saying physical attraction isn't important; I'm just saying a smooth-tongued and flattering person is a better seducer than a bumbling supermodel.

No comments: